A special thanks to all the parents who turned out last night for the first meeting of the Playground committee. The PTO greatly appreciated the great ideas, thoughtful questions, and general level of support and enthusiasm for the challenge.
Our Playground task force members include:
Silvia Bottinelli, Megan Cohen, Jack Hulburd, Mark MacDonald, and Keith Teichmann, plus our School Council members Dana Elisofon, Greg Wellenius, and Andy Sokatch, and Principal Guzzi.
Our volunteers for fundraising include Andrea Trantea, David Ford, Jessica Brooks, Susan Munter, Julie Norstrand, Greig Whitney, Brendan Everett, and Peter Schofield. We welcome additional volunteers, as fundraising is the crucial factor for any of these plans to move forward.
Please reach out to any of these parents for feedback on the playground committee. And please email us at email@example.com if you can volunteer some time to help our community move forward addressing the playground issues. We are particularly interested in parents with specific skillsets including architects, landscapers, contractors, fundraisers and other similar backgrounds to act as resident experts for the committee.
At tonight’s meeting we:
– presented the background information on the playground structure
– reviewed the playground builds of other Newton Schools and their associated costs
– discussed four options: replacing only the deteriorated wood and reusing the old hardware; replacing the whole playground; repairing the tower section with a new structure; or demolishing the tower structure and not replacing it.
– discussed additional information we need and questions we have for the city.
– heard from parents about the importance of handicap accessibility and social action as relates to fundraising as well as alternative playground design and the need for long-term plans for Bowen’s outdoor space.
– planned fundraising including local businesses, large companies, Bowen families, grants, and the community.
The PTO will move forward with project planning, breaking the project into its component parts and assigning subsets of the task force to each. Please stay tuned for the next Playground task force meeting. And please consider being involved in this critical project by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.